Friday 15 April 2016

MY WAKE-UP CALL.





Early in the year 2008, everywhere I went, my attention was continually drawn to female teenagers and young adults. For a period of about six months, I seemed to see them always around me. The sad thing was that there was always something amiss with almost all the young ladies I saw, heard of or read about. I started to notice what I had not noticed before, that is, the plight of these innocent young girls. There were tales of unwanted pregnancies, truancy in schools, examination malpractices, destitution, teenage prostitution often resulting in Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV) / Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), abortion (sometimes leading to death), human trafficking (for forced labor, sex slavery and rituals), rape cases, (some violent, some by trusted relatives, neighbours, acquaintances, even older siblings and fathers), sundry abuses, forced underage marriages which led to ‘baby’ pregnancies, ‘babies’ giving birth to babies and the unlucky ones ending up with Vesico Vagina Fistulae (VVF) or Recto Vagina Fistulae (RVF).
Some of these cases I saw physically, some were relayed to me by word of mouth, others I read, heard or watched in the news. Most of these stories broke my heart, most drove me to tears; even for girls I had no relationship with. I felt their pain; I saw the helplessness of some of them and I began to ask why I am seeing and hearing all these things, why they kept making me miserable. I wondered why? With all the enlightenment in the world, why would a girl get into such situations, especially the avoidable ones?
Then, I heard in my spirit, “Will they willingly go into such situations if they know better?” “Why do you condemn them when you can do something about ‘these things’?” “Information is power.” “Information brings freedom.”
Consumed with the passion, “that the Damsel (young girl) may know better”, Damsel Information Series was established.
The overriding aim of Damsel Information Series is to provide relevant and  time tested information to help the young girl have a purposeful journey through teenage years and early adulthood;  avoiding the wrong crowd, unacceptable behavior and dangerous decisions.
We are on a mission to inform, educate, challenge, motivate and inspire the Damsel to be an agent of change; starting with herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment